DFW Auto Club Forums

DFW Auto Club Forums (http://www.dfwautoclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming (http://www.dfwautoclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   How to control internet usage on Network? (http://www.dfwautoclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21174)

RaceMX-M3 08-02-2014 05:24 PM

How to control internet usage on Network?

Let's say I have a small network of computers and want to restrict access on one specific computer to a small handful of websites, anything I don't specifically grant access to is blocked. Also needs to be something that runs in the background or located where the user doesn't know it's there and can't delete it or change settings. I'm running various Windows operating systems but the specific computer I need to limit access to is Windows XP. Also I have the router provided by Time Warner cable that runs my wireless network if it matters. Any advice much apprecated. TIA.

Odin@Earmark 08-02-2014 05:52 PM

I'm pretty sure you can just use Internet Explorer, set the security settings to only allow sites that you add to the allowed sites list, and then password protect the IE security settings.

RaceMX-M3 08-02-2014 06:03 PM

What if the computer has other browsers installed?

Odin@Earmark 08-02-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceMX-M3 (Post 133781)
What if the computer has other browsers installed?

No good, they can just go to another browser. I suppose you could set up security settings for each browser, but that sounds cumberson.

I bet there's software out there that does exactly what you want.

toedrag 08-02-2014 09:38 PM

IIRC, XP has some flexible user restrictions. Maybe create a new user account and lock it down as much as you like? This may help get you started: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457132.aspx

nash 08-03-2014 12:10 AM

Your router might have some access controls. Usually you can specify an IP address or MAC address and restrict access (though sometimes it's just an Allow All first policy, while you want a Deny All policy first).

trentor 08-03-2014 02:39 AM

I'd look into a proxy server. Something like Wingate or similar software can be installed on a standard PC. Then you can control access on a per user basis regardless of the PC they are on.

BWHurst 08-03-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nash (Post 133789)
Your router might have some access controls. Usually you can specify an IP address or MAC address and restrict access (though sometimes it's just an Allow All first policy, while you want a Deny All policy first).

We use a Sonicwall router. It does exactly what you are talking about and also has intrusion detection.

Simmonz 08-05-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceMX-M3 (Post 133779)
Let's say I have a small network of computers and want to restrict access on one specific computer to a small handful of websites, anything I don't specifically grant access to is blocked. Also needs to be something that runs in the background or located where the user doesn't know it's there and can't delete it or change settings. I'm running various Windows operating systems but the specific computer I need to limit access to is Windows XP. Also I have the router provided by Time Warner cable that runs my wireless network if it matters. Any advice much apprecated. TIA.

Easiest way to do that is a software firewall. A lot of them allow you to set up class's of websites that the computer can't visit (IE Social media for FB ect. Email for..well email). Or you can set up a list of accepted sites and it blocks all others.

TXSailor 08-12-2014 11:05 PM

I use a software called mobicip for my kids which replaces IE and I control via opt in or by age grouping what websites they can access. Additionally, I can go online and see what they are viewing. not sure if that helps.