Go Back   DFW Auto Club Forums > DFW Auto Club Lifestyle > Food | Wine | Cigars
Food | Wine | Cigars DFW Area Cuisine, Spirits & Smoke
Please support our sponsor: Wheelexperts.com
Please support our sponsor: Tritek Tint

Old 10-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Arya
DFWAC Senior Member

Arya is on a distinguished road
Default LOTS of Restaurants you probably haven't heard of!

I don't know how active you guys are on Reddit, or if you even have heard of it, but I made a post asking for good resturants in the Plano/Frisco/Allen/etc. area, and this one guy made the ULTIMATE list! I thought you guy's would like to check it out, since fine dining is usually focused in Dallas.

For those who don't want to click on a different site-
Quote:
Alright, lets do this...
Pizza:
NY Style (thin crust and minimal toppings):
Cafe Roma (Spring Creek and Central Expressway) has been around for a long time, makes a ridiculously good pizza, and has low prices. Not a lot of seating, so not necessarily a good choice for a 6+ person group that wants to sit together. I believe it is BYOB.
Joe's (Spring Creek and Custer) is also very good; the dining area is bigger with larger tables. Also BYOB, although there is a good beer store on the corner that has you covered.
Chicago Style: Chicago's Finest. Period. There is no seating at all so its take out or delivery only.
'Fancy' Pizza (aka pizza you might pair a wine with):
Fireside Pies, as already mentioned.
Goodfella's (next to the Holy Grail on Preston and the SRT) is my pick for this category. Good pizza, reasonable price, and the restaurant's soundtrack is composed mostly of Rat-pack music. Something's Gotta Give, but not your ear drums. The beer selection isn't great, but hey, you're next to the Grail. Speaking of which...
Burgers. Holy **** do you have options.
If you want beer, your best bet is the Holy Grail. I suggest a burger with Brie (not the one with mushrooms). They suggest the 512 Pecan Porter (which is amazing), although I would go with the Peticolas Velvet Hammer, an Imperial Red Ale from Dallas that will blow your damn mind.
If beer isn't a deciding factor, then you still have a ****load of options.
Ye Olde Butcher Shop is the go-to option for game burger. They have Elk and deer in rotation, and buffalo burgers everyday. It does not get much fresher then this.
Brix is a new kid on the block. Its been open for 3 months, I think. I don't know how much hash oil they put on their grill, but the burger here is phenomenal. One of the things they advertise is Batch 19; its made by Coors, but it actually isn't half bad. They also have Stone IPA on tap. The steak and mushroom sandwich is also ridiculously good. Hell, everything on the menu is.
Country Burger is a Plano staple. I would go to the Independence location from time to time back in high school. Good food, good price.
Those are the ones I prefer. There are dozens of good burger joints in the area, so go nuts.
More recommendations:
Breakfast:
If you want breakfast in Plano, Poor Richards is near the top of the list. This is where the pilots eat when we hold the Balloon Festival. Big portions, great quality.
Next up would be Little Gus and Tony's. I mention them together because the owners are brothers. What they do exceptionally well are omelets. At Little Gus, get the California Omelet, which contains what I suspect is an entire avocado and enough bacon that you'll feel your arteries clogging. At Tony's, get the Pastrami Omelet. It's heavenly.
German: We have 2 of them, and both kick ass.
Bavarian Grill was voted the 2nd best German restaurant in America. Seriously, its amazing. The portions of schnitzel are so big, Poland considers it a threat to national security. Allan the accordion player also puts on a good show. There is also a stein club and an extensive German beer selection you can only match at SPECs or Total Wine.
Jorg's is also damn good. Its smaller and has more of a cafe vibe to it; that said, smaller = longer wait times, sometimes.
Chinese: Another contentious category, so I'm just going to mention what I consider to be the best of the best.
First Chinese BBQ is a hole in the wall on Coit next to the Post office, but it is mindblowingly good. When I first walked in one night, there must have been 100 people in there, and I'm pretty sure I was the only one speaking English. What they are known for are the roast pig and duck. You can actually see the whole pigs suspended from the ceiling back in the kitchen. They have an authentic menu which you should check out on there website, because the one in the restaurant is only in Mandarin. Try the offal, its weird yet familiar. Skip the intestine though, too furry.
Greek:
The Greek Isles Grille and Taverna is extremely good. Get the Saganaki, they light it up at your table.
I'll continue this later, I have to go now.
Quote:
Awesome, glad to help. And wait, there's more:
Delis:
There is a clear winner here, and that is Mr. G's Beverage and Deli. They won the Zagat award for best Deli 5 times in 6 years, and the only reason they didn't win more is that Zagat stopped judging delis. Here is a taste: "THE MARK CUBAN CHAMPION: Prosciutto, roasted red peppers, sicilian olives, artichoke hearts, oregano, EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), provolone on grilled french bread." Oh yeah, and it only costs $7. As the name suggests, Mr. G's is also a beer and wine story that has had a very large selection for a very long time. SPEC's recently took over the beer and wine side, so the selection is still very good and the prices have gone down a bit. More on booze later.
If you are after an honest to G-d Kosher Deli, look no further then the Deli News. Get the ****ing latka.
Seafood:
If you want fish that isn't fried and don't want to stand in line for 30 minutes, Fishmonger's is your best bet. The blackened Fishmonger's Pontchartrain is probably some of the best seafood I've ever eaten. I can also recommend the mussel pot, if you're down with cracking open a ****load of mussels. The Bread Pudding is some of the best in town.
Now if you are down for some queuing, fried goodness, and lower prices, then the Fish Shack is right up your alley. Warning: this place is crowded as hell most weeknights. Just about everything is a winner; the Santorini Cocktail comes in mild and spicy, the fried pickles are wedges which is kinda weird, and the Frog Legs are very good. Another warning: they are fond of Comic Sans. Its worth it, though.
Tex-Mex:
If you want Taco's, head to Ave. K in Downtown Plano and drive North. I don't know if its the proximity to the Fiesta or what, but they're all good.
This is another category with a lot of options, so I'm just going to mention one really good one: Gloria's, which is Tex-Mex with a big Salvadorian influence. I remember having the Churrasco Tipico, which was downright amazing.
Barbeque: And this is where we remember that we live in a suburb. The best we can do is either Rudy's or Spring Creek BBQ. Its good, its just not great.
Alright, Beer time.
Thankfully, Spec's just opened a Plano location, so no more driving halfway to Dallas for cheaper beer. Total Wine is even cheaper, its just you have to buy enough to justify the gallon or 2 of gas it takes to get there.
The booze side of Mr. G's is now handled by Spec's, and thankfully they have not limited the selection. The prices are also a bit lower, buy in cash and/or a case at a time to save even more.
My go to beer store that is on my commute is Kegs and Barrels. They can also hook you up with kegs of beer that you could only otherwise get at a bar, which includes just about every microbrewery in the state. They do tastings where the awesome guy whose name I'm forgetting gives you what is essentially a flight of beer samples in sequence; you might want to eat something before doing this, on the off chance you get to sample a Quad like I did last Thursday.
Lets see, anything else...
2 places I forgot to mention are the Irish Rover and the Ice House. They are slightly better then average pub-style bars that serve reliably good grub at good prices, and some pretty damn good drink specials. The Irish Rover in particular has Dollar Domestics during the week, which included Desheutes Black Butte Porter and Obsidian Stout last I checked. Great options when there is a big game on and you want to meet up with friends somewhere.
Near and dear to my heart (literally, probably) is Fred's Downtown Philly, which lives up to it's catchphrase "Best 10 Inches You Ever Had in Your Mouth!" Its a local chain, but Fred gos to each and every one of those stores to make sure they're doing it right. They make a Philly cheesesteak that is just as good if not better then what you would get in Philadelphia.
Alright, that ought to get you started.
Oh yeah, random side note: the area around the Mall in Frisco is basically a meat grinder on Restaurants. A lot go bust and new ones pop up fairly regularly, so if you really like one in there, make sure you support it or it'll be a goner.
Credit to AggieDem

Quote:
I work at a Hotel in Frisco, so here are my standard go to's... Kenny's Burgers is outstanding, But Twisted Root in the shops of Legacy is quickly replacing that as my favorite.
Babes is great fried chicken and their Chicken fried steak is just as good.
I'm a huge fan of Chuey's in Plano.
Thai - Best Thai in Frisco Square can't be beat
I haven't found an italian place locally that I have fell in love with that isn't a chain, but Rugerris in Plano off Preston is pretty good. Kenny's (again can't go wrong) Italian in Addison is really good.
Credit to mattatarms

Now for Dallas: http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/Dallas (Yes you have to click)

Full context on Plano/Frisco/Allen/etc. one: http://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comme...n_planofrisco/

Feel free to comment more places, and some reviews to the places listed above!
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
AMG
DFWAC Member

AMG is on a distinguished road

Awesome, surprised he didn't mention anything about steaks.. I went with the top 20 from D magazine, Bob's steak and chop at the shops of legacy is good too!

I need to swing by these places. Thanks for posting
Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
trentor
heel. toe. shift.

trentor is on a distinguished road

Great list. Thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Skinny Will
DFWAC Senior Member

Skinny Will is on a distinguished road

bobs is really good for steaks. capital grill makes a great rib eye (im pretty picky about rib eyes too). silver fox has a bone in filet that's supposed to be really good, and you dont necessarily come by those a lot. i think sullivans is known to have a pretty good new york strip as well.

bobs is a chain, but the one at the shops i think was rated number 1 nationwide.
Skinny Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
AMG
DFWAC Member

AMG is on a distinguished road

I believe Sullivan's has shut down. Not surprised as their service and food was horrible when I went!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Mr. Hollywood
DFWAC Senior Member

Mr. Hollywood is on a distinguished road

Keep it simple stupid:

Steak: Pappa's
Sushi: Deep Sushi
Italian: Mi Piaci
Burger: Twisted Root or Angry Dog
Best Wine List: Pappa's
Tex-Mex: Javiers or MiCocina
Pizza: Pizza Lounge or Fireside. If you want the best NY or Chicago style...guess what...go to NY or Chicago.
Mr. Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
TiptronicSoldier
DFWAC Senior Member

TiptronicSoldier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hollywood View Post
Keep it simple stupid:

Steak: Pappa's
Sushi: Deep Sushi
Italian: Mi Piaci
Burger: Twisted Root or Angry Dog
Best Wine List: Pappa's
Tex-Mex: Javiers or MiCocina
Pizza: Pizza Lounge or Fireside. If you want the best NY or Chicago style...guess what...go to NY or Chicago.
Have yet to try a few on your list

I like twisted root for buffalo burgers but I love R&D kitchen's burger and I've already been to hopdoddy 4 times since it opened, def worth a try.

I like velvet taco and fuel city tacos when coming back late from a ranger or cowboys game.

I'm not a big drinker but urban taco on McKinney has the only fruity drinks I order at any restaurant(including mi cocina) which are the blueberry mojito and cojito. Not going to knock you out like a mambo taxi so def worth trying both.

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of winter. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success." - Ernest Shackleton, Ad in London newspaper 1913 for south pole expedition.
MODDED M6MODDED CTS-VMODDED FOCUS ST DAILY DRIVERMORE POWER NEEDEDL92 ESCALADE IN PROGRESS
TiptronicSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Vandit
DFWAC Senior Member

Vandit is on a distinguished road

Kenny's Burger Joint in Frisco has some epic burgers.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
TireFryer
Petrolsexual

TireFryer is on a distinguished road

Looks like a fun list to work through.

For Sushi, my favorite is Masu Sushi in Carrollton
For burgers, Goodfriend Burger and Beer Garden near Peavy/Garland Road in East Dallas, and right next door, Good to go taco for some amazing creations.

77 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II
78 Corvette
1980 Ferrari GTBi
01 Jaguar XJ8
02 Corvette
08 Saturn Sky Redline
TireFryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Skinny Will
DFWAC Senior Member

Skinny Will is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Kenny's Burger Joint in Frisco has some epic burgers.
i've heard this before, but havent had the chance to try it out.
village burger barn at the shops of legacy is pretty good as well. you can customize the **** out of your burger too.

capital grill cooks a mean ribeye. and i can be pretty picky about them too. it's a chain, but a good one.
Skinny Will is offline   Reply With Quote