Please support our sponsor: Tritek Tint

Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
toedrag
DFWAC Senior Member

toedrag is on a distinguished road
Default Tesla Model S, "Consumer Reports' best car ever tested"

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...oring-car.html

Quote:
There, we said it. The Tesla Model S outscores every other car in our test Ratings. It does so even though it's an electric car. In fact, it does so because it is electric.

Built from the ground up as an EV, this car's overall balance benefits from mounting the battery under the floor and in the lowest part of the body. That gives the car a rock-bottom center of gravity that enables excellent handling, a comfortable ride, and lots of room inside. Plus, it has a front trunk where other cars' gasoline engines would be, in addition to its large rear cargo space. This big luxury hatchback even seats seven, with its optional third-row jump seat.

So the Model S may not satisfy every conceivable need, but as we've learned through our testing and living with it, the Model S is truly a remarkable car.

Tesla stock (TSLA) is up nearly 20% today...hmm....
Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
ranger22
Track Addict

ranger22 is on a distinguished road

Sure glad I bought that stock last month.

You know you're a racer when something falls off of your car, you wonder how much weight you just saved.
ranger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
quikag
DFWAC Senior Member

quikag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger22 View Post
Sure glad I bought that stock last month.
You suck. I was very close to picking it up too about 45 days ago, but I didn't.
'16 Camaro
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
toedrag
DFWAC Senior Member

Wow, just read an article that, prior to the other day, TSLA had 40% short sales. It created a big time short squeeze after the positive earnings & CR article. I'm late to the party, but I'll try to ride the wave for a bit.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
toedrag
DFWAC Senior Member

Interesting article on Tesla's Galleries and why there are no dealerships in TX:
http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/20/auto...html?iid=HP_LN

Quote:
Today, Tesla can't sell cars in Texas. Tesla has showrooms there, but employees can only show off and explain the car. They can't give test drives or take orders. They can't mention the price at all, even if customers ask.
Quote:
The current law doesn't stop anyone in Texas from ordering a Tesla Model S online if they want to. Tesla just can't deliver it to the customer. The buyer has to arrange for delivery through a third-party shipping company. Online ordering is currently legal in all 50 states.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
toedrag
DFWAC Senior Member

This factory is pretty amazing.

"How the Tesla Model S is Made -- Behind The Scenes -- The Window - Wired"
Old 07-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Fubar
Totally ***** Up

Fubar is on a distinguished road

I saw one on the road yesterday... it was impressively fast.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
J-son
DFWAC Senior Member

J-son is on a distinguished road

Nice cars for sure. Curious how the stock will play out as GS targets it at $84
J-son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
MisterTwo
DFWAC Senior Member

MisterTwo is on a distinguished road

I'm curious what 100+ degree heat and A/C running full blast does to the range, if it's still 200+ miles with the larger battery pack I'm going to seriously consider getting one.
MisterTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
ranger22
Track Addict

ranger22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-son View Post
Nice cars for sure. Curious how the stock will play out as GS targets it at $84
Me thinks GS was playing the stock manipulation game. Based solely on fundamentals it's overpriced. Based on market psychology, we still have room to grow. My $0.02 anyways. I wouldn't be buying it today, but if you got in early, it's a long watch position.

You know you're a racer when something falls off of your car, you wonder how much weight you just saved.
ranger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
toedrag
DFWAC Senior Member

From Tesla Model S Achieves Best Safety Rating of Any Car Ever Tested

Quote:
Independent testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has awarded the Tesla Model S a 5-star safety rating, not just overall, but in every subcategory without exception. Approximately one percent of all cars tested by the federal government achieve 5 stars across the board. NHTSA does not publish a star rating above 5, however safety levels better than 5 stars are captured in the overall Vehicle Safety Score (VSS) provided to manufacturers, where the Model S achieved a new combined record of 5.4 stars.

Of all vehicles tested, including every major make and model approved for sale in the United States, the Model S set a new record for the lowest likelihood of injury to occupants. While the Model S is a sedan, it also exceeded the safety score of all SUVs and minivans. This score takes into account the probability of injury from front, side, rear and rollover accidents.
and

Quote:
Of note, during validation of Model S roof crush protection at an independent commercial facility, the testing machine failed at just above 4 g's. While the exact number is uncertain due to Model S breaking the testing machine, what this means is that at least four additional fully loaded Model S vehicles could be placed on top of an owner's car without the roof caving in.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #12
Rickster
DFWAC Senior Member

Rickster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toedrag View Post
Interesting article on Tesla's Galleries and why there are no dealerships in TX:
http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/20/auto...html?iid=HP_LN
Old post, but this made me laugh in the article.
Quote:
The traditional dealer franchise system is best for car buyers, Wolters insists, because it preserves competition between dealerships selling the same products. It would be difficult for Tesla to maintain its one-price system with competing dealers selling Model S cars.
How are the dealers competing if Tesla owns all the dealers selling new Model S'? If 1 Tesla dealer sells more than another or "steals" sales, isn't Tesla winning regardless because they own both? It's not like 1 can undercut the other with cheaper deals when there's a one-price system in place & the same aforementioned owner.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
rhino-x
DFWAC Senior Member

rhino-x is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
Old post, but this made me laugh in the article.

How are the dealers competing if Tesla owns all the dealers selling new Model S'? If 1 Tesla dealer sells more than another or "steals" sales, isn't Tesla winning regardless because they own both? It's not like 1 can undercut the other with cheaper deals when there's a one-price system in place & the same aforementioned owner.
Also, how is this different from something like what Saturn was -- no haggling, the price was on the sticker. Or the promotions that VW runs that do essentially the same thing?

It's ridiculous.

Also, having literally just gone on a test drive in a model S.. it's ****ing fantastic.
rhino-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
calintexas
DFWAC Senior Member

calintexas is on a distinguished road

We spent a long weekend in the SF Bay area a couple of weeks ago. We were out and about quite a bit (Danville, Fremont, Santa Cruz, Palo Alto). I must have seen at least 10 of the Tesla S's and one of the Elise based one's. Prius's and Volts are everywhere. I even saw a couple of public charging stations. The Tesla S's are really good looking cars.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
toedrag
DFWAC Senior Member

Found someone who's taken it to an HPDE: Yesterday I took my Tesla Model S to a High Performance Driving Education (HPDE)

Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
trentor
heel. toe. shift.

trentor is on a distinguished road

Cool. While I realize videos rarely give an accurate sensation of speed, if it wasn't for the voices, I'd think that video was in slow motion.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
toedrag
DFWAC Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentor View Post
Cool. While I realize videos rarely give an accurate sensation of speed, if it wasn't for the voices, I'd think that video was in slow motion.
Haha - I admit I thought the same thing. FWIW, the car in this video appears to have the non-performance battery back, and maybe also a novice driver. Good on him for getting it out there, though.

It also sounds like the stock cooling system needs to be improved for track usage.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #18
mbowdo20
DFWAC Senior Member

mbowdo20 is on a distinguished road

It is also the safest car the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has ever tested.

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pre...ar-ever-tested
Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
CIWS
Moon Parasite

CIWS is on a distinguished road

Now has hit a glitch, a fiery one.

"Tesla's stock fell again Thursday, following a negative analyst report and a fiery crash in one of the electric car maker's Model S sedans."

Tesla (TSLA) shares were down 3% in early trading, after falling 6% on Wednesday.
Stock analysts at Baird downgraded the stock to "neutral" on Tuesday which, along with some other negative reports, seemed to start the sell-off in the stock.
Then, in the late morning Wednesday, the auto Web site Jalopnik.com posted photographs from a reader showing a Tesla Model S on fire on roads near Seattle, Wash.
Tesla later issued a statement describing what happened.

"Yesterday, a Model S collided with a large metallic object in the middle of the road, causing significant damage to the vehicle," Tesla said.
Automatic alerts warned the driver to pull over, the statement said, and the fire began only after the driver was out of the vehicle. The fire eventually consumed much of the vehicle's front end."

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/02/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

2015 335i MSport - MPPK, Borla ATAK exhaust, E.R. charge pipe.

2013 X1 35i Sport - 2009 X6 50i -2006 STS-V -2005 CTS-V
CIWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
toedrag
DFWAC Senior Member

Man, people do strange things to try & trigger a stock correction.