Go Back   DFW Auto Club Forums > DFW Auto Club Lifestyle > Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming
Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming The Latest in Electronics, Home Theater, Gaming, PDA's, GPS, Computers, & More Discussion Forum
Please support our sponsor: Earmark Car Audio
Please support our sponsor: Adrenaline Rally

Old 08-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
RaceMX-M3
Adrenaline Junkie

RaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to control internet usage on Network?

Let's say I have a small network of computers and want to restrict access on one specific computer to a small handful of websites, anything I don't specifically grant access to is blocked. Also needs to be something that runs in the background or located where the user doesn't know it's there and can't delete it or change settings. I'm running various Windows operating systems but the specific computer I need to limit access to is Windows XP. Also I have the router provided by Time Warner cable that runs my wireless network if it matters. Any advice much apprecated. TIA.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Odin@Earmark
DFWAC Sponsor

Odin@Earmark is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure you can just use Internet Explorer, set the security settings to only allow sites that you add to the allowed sites list, and then password protect the IE security settings.

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, wait until you hire an amateur.

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Earma...89415821096005

Odin@Earmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
RaceMX-M3
Adrenaline Junkie

RaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond repute

What if the computer has other browsers installed?
Old 08-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Odin@Earmark
DFWAC Sponsor

Odin@Earmark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMX-M3 View Post
What if the computer has other browsers installed?
No good, they can just go to another browser. I suppose you could set up security settings for each browser, but that sounds cumberson.

I bet there's software out there that does exactly what you want.

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, wait until you hire an amateur.

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Earma...89415821096005

Odin@Earmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
toedrag
DFWAC Senior Member

toedrag is on a distinguished road

IIRC, XP has some flexible user restrictions. Maybe create a new user account and lock it down as much as you like? This may help get you started: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457132.aspx
Old 08-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
nash
DFWAC Senior Member

nash is on a distinguished road

Your router might have some access controls. Usually you can specify an IP address or MAC address and restrict access (though sometimes it's just an Allow All first policy, while you want a Deny All policy first).

11 997.2 GT3 RS
14 Cayenne GTS
Past glory: 09 997 Turbo | 03 996 Turbo | 07 Audi RS 4 | 01 Audi S4 Stage III
nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:39 AM   #7
trentor
heel. toe. shift.

trentor is on a distinguished road

I'd look into a proxy server. Something like Wingate or similar software can be installed on a standard PC. Then you can control access on a per user basis regardless of the PC they are on.
trentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
BWHurst

BWHurst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash View Post
Your router might have some access controls. Usually you can specify an IP address or MAC address and restrict access (though sometimes it's just an Allow All first policy, while you want a Deny All policy first).
We use a Sonicwall router. It does exactly what you are talking about and also has intrusion detection.
BWHurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Simmonz
DFWAC Senior Member

Simmonz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMX-M3 View Post
Let's say I have a small network of computers and want to restrict access on one specific computer to a small handful of websites, anything I don't specifically grant access to is blocked. Also needs to be something that runs in the background or located where the user doesn't know it's there and can't delete it or change settings. I'm running various Windows operating systems but the specific computer I need to limit access to is Windows XP. Also I have the router provided by Time Warner cable that runs my wireless network if it matters. Any advice much apprecated. TIA.
Easiest way to do that is a software firewall. A lot of them allow you to set up class's of websites that the computer can't visit (IE Social media for FB ect. Email for..well email). Or you can set up a list of accepted sites and it blocks all others.
Simmonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
TXSailor
DFWAC Senior Member

TXSailor is on a distinguished road

I use a software called mobicip for my kids which replaces IE and I control via opt in or by age grouping what websites they can access. Additionally, I can go online and see what they are viewing. not sure if that helps.