Go Back   DFW Auto Club Forums > DFW Auto Club Garage > American Cars
Please support our sponsor: Radar-Mirror.com
Please support our sponsor: RBC Wealth Management

Old 02-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
TiptronicSoldier
DFWAC Senior Member

TiptronicSoldier is on a distinguished road
Default Bondurant Racing School is now with Chrysler

I've been looking at Ron Fellows and Bondurant racing schools since I went to one in Utah last year. Wanted to do a 1 or 2 day course preferably at Bondurant because it is less expensive. Ron Fellows has the V school but I'm not road racing my V and bondurant had a 1 day Camaro school which I was interested in as well as the corvette schools for both. Well I just looked online and saw Bondurant switched to Chrysler with the 392 challenger, Viper T/A, and ACR options. :thump down: I'm not a mopar guy and have zero interest in the heavy/slow challenger. The viper is not a car I've ever considered getting into but I am really contemplating doing the T/A school. Think the ACR would be too much for me at this point.

Apparently the vettes were going into limp mode so Bondurant was forced to switch to Chrysler Jan 1 2016 but I don't know how true that is bc I believe dodge has been making a push lately with their marketing and models like the hellcat, T/A, and ACR.

I wouldn't mind driving a new Viper T/A or ACR but never been a Viper guy bc I have been submerged into the whole LS motor world. I just like going to the schools to learn and push "rental" cars around on a track but always wanted to drive cars I would consider owning or own and would track.

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of winter. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success." - Ernest Shackleton, Ad in London newspaper 1913 for south pole expedition.
MODDED M6MODDED CTS-VMODDED FOCUS ST DAILY DRIVERMORE POWER NEEDEDL92 ESCALADE IN PROGRESS
TiptronicSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
Malu59RT
Balls of Steel

Malu59RT is on a distinguished road

The Gen 5 Vipers really are amazing cars. I will save you the trouble of the common gripes.

It sounds like a UPS truck, the sills are hot, the pedals are offset, the hood is long, there is a massive blindspot.

That being said, the car is a ton of fun to drive, especially on track. Steering is direct, plenty of torque, and the variable cam profile makes the car really move after 4,000 rpm somewhat similar to a VTEC equipped Honda (or any variable cam car). I think if the money isn't an issue, you should drive the ACR, so you can experience what the most badass legal street car can do in its home environment. I actually think it's the safer car to drive, as the cars limits will be far beyond yours, unless you are a really good driver. JM2C, and if you want a feel for what the Gen 5's can do, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to meet up with you.
Malu59RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
CIWS
Moon Parasite

CIWS is on a distinguished road

Might check with Luke (Karter01) about Bondurant. I'm sure he could give you some insight.

2015 335i MSport - MPPK, Borla ATAK exhaust, E.R. charge pipe.

2013 X1 35i Sport - 2009 X6 50i -2006 STS-V -2005 CTS-V
CIWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
Karter01
Senior Citizen

Karter01 is on a distinguished road

Their switch had nothing to do with the cars but that's another story.

Bondo has some outstanding instructors and the guys are awesome to be around. Some of the pioneer drivers have left throughout the years but their racing practices still live on. My dad instructed there for 25 years so I grew up at the place.
I was bummed to hear of the switch, the Challenger is tank-ish and the Viper is a huge step up performance wise, honestly too much for someone learning the theory. The vettes worked great being lower on horsepower but still solid in the handling department. If you end up going send me a PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Captain Buddha
Track Addict

Captain Buddha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter01 View Post
I'd like to hear it...all ears...not for gossip purposes but the real reason.

That's REALLY cool about your Dad instructing there!!
2014 Corvette Stingray C7 Z51 Laguna Blue
2003 Monte Carlo #13 GTA/GT2
2011 Camaro #79 TA2/GT2
Captain Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
7thz16
Bitter Clinger

7thz16 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Well, have been there a few times and always enjoyed it. Drove the Vettes and the Formula cars. Glad I did when I did. The Vipers will likely be all wadded up before I ever get there again.
2004 C5 Lemans Commemorative Edition, #7 of 2025 - Gone
1996 C4 Collector's Edition Convertible - Gone
7thz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
JackG
DFWAC Senior Member

JackG is on a distinguished road

Loved attending Bondurant back in the old days when it was located at Sears Point Raceway in Sonoma. We drove Datsun 280Zs. My son also went to Sears Point school when they shifted to Mustangs. The instructors had quite a challenge to get me ready to drive the next weekend in the 12 hrs of Sebring with no prior experience nor never having even sat in a race car.

'55 Porsche 356 Continental "Outlaw"
'70 Porsche 914-6 (owned since '76)
'85 911 Carrera Coupe
'89 911 Speedster (bought new)
'11 997 CarreraS
'18 991 GT3 Touring
'84 MB 300CD (bought new)
'13 MB C250

JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackG For This Useful Post:
Captain Buddha (02-20-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #8
Andi
Gold Member

Andi is on a distinguished road

A couple years ago, I tried the waxer resort "school" out in Nevada and left extremely disappointed. If you have an understanding of physics, and/or if you want to go near the limit, Spring Mountain is not the school for you. It's clearly targeted at the Vette Zaino crowd.

Last year I gave the Bondurant school a shot. I've been a fan since I bought and read his book in 1998. And I really wish I would have tried Bondurant first. I graduated from the Bondurant Advanced 3 day racing school, and can tell you I was VERY impressed. Their Vettes were very well maintained, they had racing harnesses to keep you well strapped-in, and they give you TONS of track time. Most important, THE INSTRUCTION AT BONDURANT IS TOP NOTCH. Danny Bullock and team run an awesome show and I can't wait to go back. I'm excited to try it in the Vipers - I'm sure they will be a more reliable platform, if a tad understeery.

Cheers,
Andi
Old 04-13-2016, 10:50 PM   #9
kverges
DFWAC Senior Member

kverges is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter01 View Post

Bondo has some outstanding instructors and the guys are awesome to be around. Some of the pioneer drivers have left throughout the years but their racing practices still live on. My dad instructed there for 25 years so I grew up at the place.
I was bummed to hear of the switch, the Challenger is tank-ish and the Viper is a huge step up performance wise, honestly too much for someone learning the theory. The vettes worked great being lower on horsepower but still solid in the handling department. If you end up going send me a PM.
Was your dad able to make a living instructing? In any event clearly a healthy environment to stay 25 years. I'd love to meet him and hear more about it.
kverges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #10
Karter01
Senior Citizen

Karter01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi View Post
A couple years ago, I tried the waxer resort "school" out in Nevada and left extremely disappointed. If you have an understanding of physics, and/or if you want to go near the limit, Spring Mountain is not the school for you. It's clearly targeted at the Vette Zaino crowd.

Last year I gave the Bondurant school a shot. I've been a fan since I bought and read his book in 1998. And I really wish I would have tried Bondurant first. I graduated from the Bondurant Advanced 3 day racing school, and can tell you I was VERY impressed. Their Vettes were very well maintained, they had racing harnesses to keep you well strapped-in, and they give you TONS of track time. Most important, THE INSTRUCTION AT BONDURANT IS TOP NOTCH. Danny Bullock and team run an awesome show and I can't wait to go back. I'm excited to try it in the Vipers - I'm sure they will be a more reliable platform, if a tad understeery.

Cheers,
Andi
Bondurant has built their name off the quality of instruction and track time you get. Danny is awesome. Have known that dude forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kverges View Post
Was your dad able to make a living instructing? In any event clearly a healthy environment to stay 25 years. I'd love to meet him and hear more about it.
Yes, very much so. The circles are fairly small but if you are in it for a long time and are good at what you do, it works out. Shoot me a PM and I can connect you guys.