Please support our sponsor: Adrenaline Rally
Please support our sponsor: Wheelexperts.com

Old 05-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
LonestarS5
DFWAC Senior Member

LonestarS5 is on a distinguished road
Default Buying car out of state

Gents,

Picking up a Range Rover Sport out of state in two weeks. How does the whole titling and registration thing play out? Best I can surmise is I'll pay the local state's sales tax and applicable registration fees. Then when back in Texas I'll get the vehicle inspected and then go to the title office and pay the New Resident Fee and other applicable fees to get a Texas title.

Brett
LonestarS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
nash
DFWAC Senior Member

nash is on a distinguished road

In my experience, you pay nothing out of state and simply buy the car with no tax/registration. When you get home, go to your local tax office and register it, which will require you to pay the sales tax at that point.

Alternately, the dealership out of state should be equipped to collect tax and pay it directly to the tax office here. You may wish to do that if you were financing, for example, as you could roll the tax into the total finance amount.

I've done it both ways. It really depends how competent the dealer is and whether you trust them to do it the right way. When I bought my 996 Turbo I drove it with temp Florida tags for like 9+ months because the dealer kept fouling up the paperwork. I don't think they collected my sales tax at point of sales, either.

11 997.2 GT3 RS
14 Cayenne GTS
Past glory: 09 997 Turbo | 03 996 Turbo | 07 Audi RS 4 | 01 Audi S4 Stage III
nash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nash For This Useful Post:
LonestarS5 (05-08-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
Malu59RT
Balls of Steel

Malu59RT is on a distinguished road

Which state are you buying it from? If you are buying the car from California, you will have to pay California state sales tax to drive it off the lot, and Texas state sales tax when you register it here. Total crap, have had several friends have their car trailered to the border of California, to drive it home. I bought my Viper in California, and although I was there for the weekend, I wasn't allowed to drive the vehicle once I signed the paperwork.
Malu59RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #4
LonestarS5
DFWAC Senior Member

Ended up buying it in Des Moines, Iowa (hometown). I guess when you can you can, but the dealers around here (even called OKC and Houston) all but laughed when I asked about negotiating (Frisco effectively hung up on me). I spoke with the dealer in Iowa yesterday, and they are going to populate the Texas title application and collect the 6.25% sales tax. They will then send me off with a in-transit tag to have the documents and a check payable to me (for taxes) sent 7 days later. Then it's up to me to take the docs to the tax office, which raises one more question. Given it's a new vehicle, do I need to get it physically inspected or is it good to go as it sits?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
Malu59RT
Balls of Steel

From my experience with two cars purchased out of state, I needed to have a safety inspection done, and I had to request a green sheet. This is needed when titling a new vehicle from out of state.
The Following User Says Thank You to Malu59RT For This Useful Post:
LonestarS5 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
nash
DFWAC Senior Member

nash is on a distinguished road

Yes, you also need to take a 'green sheet' when registering at the tax office, I forgot to mention that. I'm not sure how it works now that they keep a digital record for inspections, but I assume that at least the first time you'll be able to use the green sheet printout. You may or may not be able to get the usual 2 years for new cars, if it's new.

11 997.2 GT3 RS
14 Cayenne GTS
Past glory: 09 997 Turbo | 03 996 Turbo | 07 Audi RS 4 | 01 Audi S4 Stage III
nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
LonestarS5
DFWAC Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance, but is the "green sheet" simply the paper document you are provided after you get the vehicle inspected? I understand it's digitally transmitted to the State, but you are also provided documentation of the inspection onsite. Is it just that this documentation 30 years ago was a green piece of paper and the name stuck? Just want to make sure I've got my ducks in a row ahead of time.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
Malu59RT
Balls of Steel

The green sheet is something you have to specifically request. I assume an inspection station that does a car from out of state may know about it, but it would be a good idea to request it.

It is not given for cars that are just getting a routine safety/state inspection.

Regarding the 2 year sticker, it only applied to the state inspection sticker if the car was purchased in Texas. For cars purchased out of state, you would only get a 1 year sticker, but the 2nd year you only had to pay for another safety inspection. You weren't on the hook for the $39.95 state/safety fee.

I'm not sure how it works now with only having a registration sticker.

Last edited by Malu59RT; 05-11-2017 at 10:01 AM.