Go Back   DFW Auto Club Forums > DFW Auto Club Lifestyle > Sports
Sports NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, NCAA, PGA & More
Please support our sponsor: Boardwalk Ferrar - Maserati
Please support our sponsor: Wheelexperts.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Arch_horn
from somewhere else
 
Arch_horn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Farmers Branch
Posts: 267
Thanks: 45
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Arch_horn is on a distinguished road
Default Texas / OU

In honor of Texas v OU week...I present Shaggybevo's Thread of UT dominance.

If you like MS paint and GIF (and inappropriate humor) click the link...gets good at page 4.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/show...D-OF-DOMINANCE
Arch_horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
BlackBird007
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Burleson
Posts: 645
Thanks: 67
Thanked 54 Times in 39 Posts
BlackBird007 is on a distinguished road
Default

It's 9:34pm on October 3...and OU still sucks.
__________________
'01 S60 2.4
BlackBird007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
RaceMX-M3
Fly First Class
 
RaceMX-M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,813
Thanks: 81
Thanked 309 Times in 220 Posts
RaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond reputeRaceMX-M3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I've been going to this game since the 70's and it's always a great game. I have the best tickets this year I've ever had - 40 yard line, row 2 behind the OU bench. Boomer Sooner.
__________________
2015 Space Gray M5 | Competition Package
2016 Ferrari 488 GTB | Rosso Corsa Metallic | 100% Carbon Fiber
DFW Auto Club
Radar-Mirror.com
RBC Wealth Management
RaceMX-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Mike
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,197
Thanks: 70
Thanked 69 Times in 45 Posts
Mike is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMX-M3 View Post
.... Boomer Sooner.
Ooooooh, you're gonna' love that shaggy link.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Tejas500
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Tejas500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 668
Thanks: 13
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Tejas500 is on a distinguished road
Default

Another Sooner here, Boomer Baby!!!
Tejas500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
Silentrun
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Silentrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,163
Thanks: 358
Thanked 187 Times in 121 Posts
Silentrun is on a distinguished road
Default

__________________

2012 Cayman R-SOLD

______________
Past Rides:
2008 Cayman S
2008 C4S Modified
2009 997 TT Heavily Modified
2011 GT3 RS
2011 Carrera S
2012 Cayenne S Hybrid
Silentrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
tranman329
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 289
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
tranman329 is on a distinguished road
Default

Hook 'em!
tranman329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #8
Zinia
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Zinia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,461
Thanks: 89
Thanked 60 Times in 59 Posts
Zinia is on a distinguished road
Default

Oklahoma can't even field a team without recruiting from Texas.

I see Texas 2 (OU) beating Texas 1 (UT) on Saturday.
Zinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
Tejas500
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Tejas500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 668
Thanks: 13
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Tejas500 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinia View Post
Oklahoma can't even field a team without recruiting from Texas.

I see Texas 2 (OU) beating Texas 1 (UT) on Saturday.
It's so funny that Texas fans always throw that in everyones face. Where else do they think they would come from? Texas, California, and Florida are best football production states and that's where the majority of the countries best college players come from. I grew up in South Texas, as a Longhorn in fact, and I found myself in Norman for college.

If Oklahoma fielding the majority of it's players from Texas angers UT fans so much, then maybe Texas should ask itself what it is doing wrong. What aren't we offering that Oklahoma is? Why do we lose recruits to a school in another state, we are the biggest University in the country? I would start with consistently winning the conference.

When a kid is recruited to a school to play he looks at team stats, overall and recent school record, who has played there in the past and present, who is the coach/coaches, and how much playing time will I get. The majority of kids (the good ones) want to play where they will win and have a consistent shot at winning the conference and the National Championship every year.

I may be a Sooner by degree and by heart, but I respect and like Texas. As a player I wouldn't care about the overall win record of the Red River shootout because that is just one game of the year, I would look at conference wins, bowl game wins and bids, Heisman winners, All-Americans, players in the pro's, and the head coach. It might be a toss up to some, but to me and obviously a lot of other Texas kids, all of those factors weighing in would lean towards Oklahoma.

All in all, it is a great rivalry and I know that most of the nation looks forward to this game every year. Nine times out of ten it decides who will win the conference too. I believe that Texas is the only team in the conference that has the talent in all positions to compete with Oklahoma and that makes for an interesting game.

Best of luck this weekend Texas fans and Boomer Sooner!!!
Tejas500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Arch_horn
from somewhere else
 
Arch_horn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Farmers Branch
Posts: 267
Thanks: 45
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Arch_horn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas500 View Post
It's so funny that Texas fans always throw that in everyones face. Where else do they think they would come from? Texas, California, and Florida are best football production states and that's where the majority of the countries best college players come from. I grew up in South Texas, as a Longhorn in fact, and I found myself in Norman for college.

If Oklahoma fielding the majority of it's players from Texas angers UT fans so much, then maybe Texas should ask itself what it is doing wrong. What aren't we offering that Oklahoma is? Why do we lose recruits to a school in another state, we are the biggest University in the country? I would start with consistently winning the conference.

When a kid is recruited to a school to play he looks at team stats, overall and recent school record, who has played there in the past and present, who is the coach/coaches, and how much playing time will I get. The majority of kids (the good ones) want to play where they will win and have a consistent shot at winning the conference and the National Championship every year.

I may be a Sooner by degree and by heart, but I respect and like Texas. As a player I wouldn't care about the overall win record of the Red River shootout because that is just one game of the year, I would look at conference wins, bowl game wins and bids, Heisman winners, All-Americans, players in the pro's, and the head coach. It might be a toss up to some, but to me and obviously a lot of other Texas kids, all of those factors weighing in would lean towards Oklahoma.

All in all, it is a great rivalry and I know that most of the nation looks forward to this game every year. Nine times out of ten it decides who will win the conference too. I believe that Texas is the only team in the conference that has the talent in all positions to compete with Oklahoma and that makes for an interesting game.

Best of luck this weekend Texas fans and Boomer Sooner!!!
I don't think 'Horn fans are too upset about losing some recruits to OU. There's only so many spots available every year...and like you said with as much talent coming out of Texas...you can't have 'em all. I think it's only a "dig" that's easy to latch on to. Now in some cases...cough "A. Peterson" cough...it's more personal...but that's also what makes it such a great tradition. Lot's of respect and some occasional hate
Arch_horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Zinia
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Zinia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,461
Thanks: 89
Thanked 60 Times in 59 Posts
Zinia is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas500 View Post
It's so funny that Texas fans always throw that in everyones face.
I'm not that much of a UT fan, I just don't like the state of Oklahoma. But that distaste goes back several decades.
Zinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
Fubar
Totally ***** Up
 
Fubar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 6,307
Thanks: 170
Thanked 604 Times in 402 Posts
Fubar is on a distinguished road
Default

North Texas owns your face… bitches. We got Paul Schaffer!
__________________
I'm Just Say'n!!!
Fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
DallasM5
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 25
Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts
DallasM5 is on a distinguished road
Default

section 20 row 2 seat 1

woot woot

Quote:
When a kid is recruited to a school to play he looks at team stats, overall and recent school record, who has played there in the past and present, who is the coach/coaches, and how much playing time will I get. The majority of kids (the good ones) want to play where they will win and have a consistent shot at winning the conference and the National Championship every year.
and that statement is garbage, its all about who pays these guys the most. I know damn well 9/10 of these guys dont come from families that can afford range rovers and escalades. I see it all the time around the UT campus. I have friends on the UT and OU team, and i know their family background. Ill just say that most of them didnt have cell phones in high school, how do they have cars now?
__________________
m5
DallasM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
Tejas500
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Tejas500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 668
Thanks: 13
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Tejas500 is on a distinguished road
Default

The hidden money from Alumni and supporters goes on everywhere, the bigger schools are just in the spotlight and under the microscope a little more than the rest so they are more likely to be exposed.

The cars are usually given to them to drive as a perk, they don't own them or pay for them in most cases. A lot of the better athletes do come from low socio-economic back grounds and these perks are an attention grabber, but they are destined to get that anywhere they play and all of the big D1 schools provide this luxury in one form or another, same goes for their academics. Sadly this is just part of the modern collegiate athlete subculture. This is why you don't see Ivy League schools, private schools, and the Academies competing at the top level too often, they require a high standard GPA and that just isn't doable by the majority of these recruits.

The kids that have the talent to play at the next level will seek out the schools that provide all or the majority of those aspects, the goodies just come with the territory. I lived with two OU players in college that now play and start in the NFL, I was side line at every home game in college, I got to see how things went down first hand.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasM5 View Post
section 20 row 2 seat 1

woot woot



and that statement is garbage, its all about who pays these guys the most. I know damn well 9/10 of these guys dont come from families that can afford range rovers and escalades. I see it all the time around the UT campus. I have friends on the UT and OU team, and i know their family background. Ill just say that most of them didnt have cell phones in high school, how do they have cars now?
Tejas500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #15
Bokke
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Bokke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 551
Thanks: 172
Thanked 121 Times in 59 Posts
Bokke is on a distinguished road
Default

Boomer Sooner

Oh, and it's OU / Texas weekend!
__________________
Garage:
09 E90 ///M3 SS | Black | Modded
13 92A Cayenne GTS Carmine Red
16 F82 ///M4 GTS FDG | LWB | November 2016
15 991 GT3 | Rhodium Silver | LWB | PCCB's
Bokke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
TXSailor
DFWAC Senior Member
 
TXSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Frisco
Posts: 880
Thanks: 122
Thanked 92 Times in 67 Posts
TXSailor is on a distinguished road
Default

Hook 'Em Horns!
Class of '93
TXSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
Mr. Hollywood
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Mr. Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,658
Thanks: 4
Thanked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Mr. Hollywood is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokke View Post

Oh, and it's OU / Texas weekend!
Not according to the Cotton Bowl.
__________________
9 second Club 1/4 mile
200mph Club Standing mile
3 second Club 60-130
Mr. Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #18
DallasM5
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 25
Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts
DallasM5 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas500 View Post
The hidden money from Alumni and supporters goes on everywhere, the bigger schools are just in the spotlight and under the microscope a little more than the rest so they are more likely to be exposed.

The cars are usually given to them to drive as a perk, they don't own them or pay for them in most cases. A lot of the better athletes do come from low socio-economic back grounds and these perks are an attention grabber, but they are destined to get that anywhere they play and all of the big D1 schools provide this luxury in one form or another, same goes for their academics. Sadly this is just part of the modern collegiate athlete subculture. This is why you don't see Ivy League schools, private schools, and the Academies competing at the top level too often, they require a high standard GPA and that just isn't doable by the majority of these recruits.

The kids that have the talent to play at the next level will seek out the schools that provide all or the majority of those aspects, the goodies just come with the territory. I lived with two OU players in college that now play and start in the NFL, I was side line at every home game in college, I got to see how things went down first hand.
Oh boy dont get me started on academics, F frat guys and anyone who endorses fraternities, and F athletes. Both of them cheat like no other and it screws the rest of us over who actually learn the stuff but get screwed over on our curves.
__________________
m5
DallasM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
Tejas500
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Tejas500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 668
Thanks: 13
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Tejas500 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasM5 View Post
Oh boy dont get me started on academics, F frat guys and anyone who endorses fraternities, and F athletes. Both of them cheat like no other and it screws the rest of us over who actually learn the stuff but get screwed over on our curves.
I agree, I watched that happen for four years while I busted my butt in the engineering department at 18 hours a semester. College is what you make of it though and I did my best to not let other people's fortunes/misfortunes bother me.
Tejas500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #20
ranger22
Track Addict
 
ranger22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dallas, the city
Posts: 959
Thanks: 17
Thanked 82 Times in 67 Posts
ranger22 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasM5 View Post
Oh boy dont get me started on academics, F frat guys and anyone who endorses fraternities, and F athletes. Both of them cheat like no other and it screws the rest of us over who actually learn the stuff but get screwed over on our curves.
Sounds like someone's got a little pent up resentment. As a former college athlete and fraternity member, I'm not so sure you can conclude that we all cheat. I set the curve without cheating and without having to study too hard. Though there certainly were plenty of people who cried foul, but bottom line was that they just weren't as quick to learn new things. Sorry, sometimes the truth hurts.
ranger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.