Go Back   DFW Auto Club Forums > DFW Auto Club Garage > American Cars
Please support our sponsor: Radar-Mirror.com
Please support our sponsor: Earmark Car Audio

Old 03-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Crash
DFWAC Senior Member

Crash is on a distinguished road
Default Tinted lights

I've been thinking of smoking the lights on both the Shelby and the M3. I know there are many different ways to approach tinting lights and I'm trying to find the best possible way. What do you guys think about what this guy is doing? I've talked with Adam that has the SRT8 Jeep and he uses another process that includes adding some black to a clear coat from what I understood. I would rather not do over lays as I've heard of too many issues with that. Here's a listing for a set that I'm thinking about doing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...ht_9800wt_1658
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Bruce954
DFWAC Senior Member

Bruce954 is on a distinguished road

Ive got screw on "plate" type tinted covers on my car now that I dont like. I'm thinking of having a paint on tint(I think they just use black paint). When the lights are on it shines through really well, but still pretty tinted when their not on. Cost is about $200.

I would like to hear some other options and opinions.

Edit: I can't see your ebay link at work. It might be the same thing I'm talking about.

Last edited by Bruce954; 03-06-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Bruce954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Crash
DFWAC Senior Member

Crash is on a distinguished road

The one's that this guy does, when they light up basically makes it look like there is no tint. I'd like to do all the lights on my Shelby and the Tails on the M3, but I don't want to risk not being able to see at night and not have some use of the HID's on the Shelby.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
TiptronicSoldier
DFWAC Senior Member

TiptronicSoldier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008GT500 View Post
The one's that this guy does, when they light up basically makes it look like there is no tint. I'd like to do all the lights on my Shelby and the Tails on the M3, but I don't want to risk not being able to see at night and not have some use of the HID's on the Shelby.
I tinted the lights on my Tahoe back in 2004 before I could really get it done anywhere. I just went and bought black spray paint and clear coat from auto zone. I cleaned the lights off really well then sanded them down with fine sand paper then wiped them down again. I then sprayed light coats of black until the tint was enough then I lights fine sanded it again and put layers of clear coat on. It looked really good for being so cheap.

There are some paint shops that should be able to do it for a reasonable price, I just don't know which ones around here. Maybe Chris(AWM6) can chime in where he had his done.

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of winter. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success." - Ernest Shackleton, Ad in London newspaper 1913 for south pole expedition.
MODDED M6MODDED CTS-VMODDED FOCUS ST DAILY DRIVERMORE POWER NEEDEDL92 ESCALADE IN PROGRESS
TiptronicSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Demon War Horse
DFWAC Senior Member

Demon War Horse is on a distinguished road

Ok, now this may sound ghetto, so I don't throw me under the bus here...

But when I used to build model cars and planes... they used to have a spray window tint (translucent black) that you could do on the windows of those models. Now most of the headlight lenses are plastic, so it may work for that as well. But I have no idea how that would hold up to heat though from the lights being on for a prolonged period.

Just another thought if you want to stay away from films.