DFWAC Shooting Range Guns, Sport and Personal Protection
Please support our sponsor: Earmark Car Audio
Please support our sponsor: Boardwalk Ferrar - Maserati

Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
MarkDFW
DFWAC Senior Member

MarkDFW is on a distinguished road
Default Shotgun selection help

So I have found a new addiction. For starters, thanks to everyone for their help with semi-auto pistol suggestions. I have put 500 rounds through my S&W M&P 9mm in three weeks. Very happy with my purchase.

I already got help with rifle suggestions and also am in the market for a good, dual-purpose shotgun. I've done a little homework, and narrowed it down what are apparently the usual suspects for a newbie:

Mossberg 500® Home-Defense/Field Combo vs. Remington 870™ Express® Tactical/Home Defense

I held both guns at Cabela's today. I like the location of the saftey better on the Moss, but the Remington felt like the build quality was a touch better. The Moss costs more, but comes with another barrel and looks like it is ready to bolt on optics, whereas I'd have to buy another barrel for the Remi for skeet/trap. The Remington holds 7 vs. 6 for the Moss. I've gone to several gun forums and people seems split on which one they prefer. Both are obviously pretty solid, dual-purpose, entry level shotguns. They go BANG when a perp shows up at home, and seem like decent starter skeet/trap guns.

Anyone familiar with both have a recommendation?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
TomBoy
DFWAC Senior Member

TomBoy is on a distinguished road

Wilson Combat sells some nice accessories for the Remington. The Remington also has dual action bars whereas the Mossberg (used to have) just a single action bar - may want to verify that is still the case. Always liked the idea of dual action bars, helps ensure the action does not bind on you when working the action. I believe both are also available in 'marine grade' stainless steel. Bit of an upcharge, but I should have gone that route. In the middle of the night, stainless steel would show up better to a perp, and have a bigger impact perhaps without having to pull the trigger... Same reason, my Sig P226 for the house is SS. Also a bit heavier, so slightly less recoil.
TomBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
7thz16
Bitter Clinger

7thz16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDFW View Post
So I have found a new addiction. For starters, thanks to everyone for their help with semi-auto pistol suggestions. I have put 500 rounds through my S&W M&P 9mm in three weeks. Very happy with my purchase.

I already got help with rifle suggestions and also am in the market for a good, dual-purpose shotgun. I've done a little homework, and narrowed it down what are apparently the usual suspects for a newbie:

Mossberg 500® Home-Defense/Field Combo vs. Remington 870™ Express® Tactical/Home Defense

I held both guns at Cabela's today. I like the location of the saftey better on the Moss, but the Remington felt like the build quality was a touch better. The Moss costs more, but comes with another barrel and looks like it is ready to bolt on optics, whereas I'd have to buy another barrel for the Remi for skeet/trap. The Remington holds 7 vs. 6 for the Moss. I've gone to several gun forums and people seems split on which one they prefer. Both are obviously pretty solid, dual-purpose, entry level shotguns. They go BANG when a perp shows up at home, and seem like decent starter skeet/trap guns.

Anyone familiar with both have a recommendation?

I own 4 Remingtons; two 1100's and two Versa-Max's. The Versa Max tactical is pretty awesome. I favor semi-auto's and have not had a single problem. You should also look at Benelli, Beretta and Browning.
7thz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
boba
DFWAC Senior Member

boba is on a distinguished road

You might consider a KSG by KelTec. It is a bullpup and holds 14 shells, compact for in tight quarters. Gear & Guns in Plano has them in stock. You never know when the zombie hordes might show up but you would be ready. I have red dot optics on mine, it has top and bottom rails.
boba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
Silentrun
DFWAC Senior Member

Silentrun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBoy View Post
Wilson Combat sells some nice accessories for the Remington. The Remington also has dual action bars whereas the Mossberg (used to have) just a single action bar - may want to verify that is still the case. Always liked the idea of dual action bars, helps ensure the action does not bind on you when working the action. I believe both are also available in 'marine grade' stainless steel. Bit of an upcharge, but I should have gone that route. In the middle of the night, stainless steel would show up better to a perp, and have a bigger impact perhaps without having to pull the trigger... Same reason, my Sig P226 for the house is SS. Also a bit heavier, so slightly less recoil.

Just my .02, if a motivated individual has entered your property uninvited I doubt having a firearm in stainless will be sufficient deterrence. Training, understanding house layout relative to cover, ability to use a command voice, even proper use of high-power flashlight would be a better investment in trying to demotivate an aggressor. You can use less-than-lethal devices if there is concern relative to legal use of lethal force.

2012 Cayman R-SOLD

2009 997 TT Heavily Modified
2011 GT3 RS
2011 Carrera S
2012 Cayenne S Hybrid
Silentrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
TomBoy
DFWAC Senior Member

TomBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentrun View Post
Just my .02, if a motivated individual has entered your property uninvited I doubt having a firearm in stainless will be sufficient deterrence. Training, understanding house layout relative to cover, ability to use a command voice, even proper use of high-power flashlight would be a better investment in trying to demotivate an aggressor. You can use less-than-lethal devices if there is concern relative to legal use of lethal force.
Totally agree - was not an all inclusive list by any means. That's just one of a dozen or more thoughts, one I feel has some relevence in the decision making process. It's also less hassle to own/maintain than blued, and a wash with parkerized. That was a tip I read in one of Massad Ayoob's books; "The Truth About Self Protection"; (TASP as he calls it). about 30 years ago. Great book, still very relevent. I have read it a couple of times to try to commit the material to sub-concious competence. Your other points are all spot-on.
TomBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
ApexPrez
DFWAC Senior Member

ApexPrez is on a distinguished road

My command voice is after the trigger is pulled.
ApexPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
MarkDFW
DFWAC Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexPrez View Post
I like how John thinks
Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
quikag
DFWAC Senior Member

quikag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No kidding. The last sound someone who invaded my house would likely ever hear is the unmistakable pump action sound of my Remington chambering a shell before a big blast goes off.
'16 Camaro
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
MarkDFW
DFWAC Senior Member

Sounds like the only command to know is the one where you tell someone to go clean up the mess.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
ApexPrez
DFWAC Senior Member

ApexPrez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentrun View Post
All of this is really good advice. Also have a plan on what and where you spouse should be if this ever happens. Unless you don't care for your family members.
ApexPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
MarkDFW
DFWAC Senior Member

Quote:
All of this is really good advice. Also have a plan on what and where you spouse should be if this ever happens. Unless you don't care for your family members.
Collateral damage....

I'm also picking out an AR. Colt 6920 seems to be the benchmark. I'm leaning towards that with Magpul furniture.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/COLE6920MP-B.aspx

Feel free to chime in if anyone has thoughts on this.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
Silentrun
DFWAC Senior Member

Silentrun is on a distinguished road

You simply cannot go wrong buying any Colt AR and the 6920 is a great choice. The more the merrier in my book...that way you can mix an match furniture. FDE version and a DG or Black, a fourth rifle with a quad rail, then a medium distance and a short distance variant all ready to go.

Train, train, train. You should be able to go from safe to shoot without thinking and back again. Know where bolt release is with just touch. weak hand vs strong hand. One hand reload. The list goes on and on. I know this has been mentioned but check out TigerValley and other places for training. Any of them, or all, to compare techniques of the different styles of the training pro's. Cheap at 185 to 385 per course.

2012 Cayman R-SOLD

2009 997 TT Heavily Modified
2011 GT3 RS
2011 Carrera S
2012 Cayenne S Hybrid
Silentrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
WWJD
DFWAC Senior Member

WWJD is on a distinguished road

Think of a shotgun as home artillery. You don't want to be sweeping with something that has a long barrel. In close quarters, things happen so quickly, and the perp could be around a corner or rush you to hit the barrel away. If you are going to go with a shotgun, it really needs to be in a situation where you can lie in wait. I have a Mossberg 500A and have put hundreds of rounds through it without a single hiccup. I love it. My friend has the Remington and as we were shooting saw it jam. It took minutes for him to fix it. Anyway, It spooked me and I went with the Mossberg because they are simple, easy to clean, have interchangeable barrel-lengths, has a heat shield, and hold 6 rounds.
Position: Youth Leader/Counseling Intern @ Crossroads of Arlington
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
MarkDFW
DFWAC Senior Member

I wound up buying a smith&wesson m&p full size 9mm and an AR15. I also have a glock 19 for my conceal carry. What if the bad guy is holding my lady right next to him? If I shoot I would likely spray her as well. I think AR15 is best followed by semiauto pistol with a big mag IMO. More margin for error than a shotgun.

Of course Joe Biden thinks I just need to pump a shotgun to scare someone off. I am sure he must know what he is talking about.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
Michael-Dallas
DFWAC Senior Member

Michael-Dallas is on a distinguished road

If you're really serious about employing a shotgun as a HD weapon, then please take this class: http://www.shop.tigervalley.com/09-2...YL1SHOTGUN.htm
Michael-Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael-Dallas For This Useful Post:
MarkDFW (09-20-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
texasbmwguy
BMW Z3 Purple People Eate

texasbmwguy is on a distinguished road

I'm partial to Mossbergs myself, but truthfully either Mossberg or Remington are excellent shotguns. There are several other brands that are really good shotguns as well.

Mossbergs mostly have a safety that can be pushed up with your thumb while holding it. The Remingtons are typically a button by the trigger guard that you push. Other than that, they are very similar.
texasbmwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #18
CIWS
Moon Parasite

CIWS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDFW View Post
What if the bad guy is holding my lady right next to him? If I shoot I would likely spray her as well.
Very few people are well trained and disciplined enough under stress to fire at a bad guy holding a hostage. Really don't think this should be a primary consideration when buying a home defense weapon. How about high velocity .223 rounds going through the walls of your home potentially hitting innocents?

But then my military training was on platforms that were nuclear capable and we were trained to shoot through the hostage to kill the intruder.

2015 335i MSport - MPPK, Borla ATAK exhaust, E.R. charge pipe.

2013 X1 35i Sport - 2009 X6 50i -2006 STS-V -2005 CTS-V
CIWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #19
MarkDFW
DFWAC Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
we were trained to shoot through the hostage to kill the intruder.
*note to self* increase life insurance policy on the other half in case I need to shoot through her with my AR15
Old 01-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #20
Captain Buddha
Track Addict

Captain Buddha is on a distinguished road

There's not as much "spray" as one might think when it comes to close quarters with a shotgun...you know how the saying goes: "yeah, I'll just aim in their general direction and I'll hit 'em...."

You can always load slugs...

This is a neat article: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot20.htm
Captain Buddha is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Buddha For This Useful Post:
7thz16 (01-10-2014)