Go Back   DFW Auto Club Forums > DFW Auto Club Lifestyle > DFWAC Shooting Range
DFWAC Shooting Range Guns, Sport and Personal Protection
Please support our sponsor: Boardwalk Ferrar - Maserati
Please support our sponsor: Earmark Car Audio

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
citylightva
Fastest car in my garage
 
citylightva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 1,837
Thanks: 22
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
citylightva will become famous soon enoughcitylightva will become famous soon enough
Default Guns...

For everyone that has an armory in their garage, and I know a bunch of you do, is an Ed Brown really worth about twice as much as a Kimber..? I see the argument and it felt great in my hand, but are they really that much better..? They have a few at Jackson Armory I was playing with this weekend, they've got a sweet Wilson Combat "Border Patrol" tactical 12 gauge that made me drool too. hhhmmmmm
__________________


Have you seen my Ball..?? An 0705 Dodge Benz Ram 63 Hemi AMG...
citylightva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Silentrun
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Silentrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,163
Thanks: 358
Thanked 187 Times in 121 Posts
Silentrun is on a distinguished road
Default

Kimber is the way to go for a quality .45...what's the application?
Silentrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
citylightva
Fastest car in my garage
 
citylightva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 1,837
Thanks: 22
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
citylightva will become famous soon enoughcitylightva will become famous soon enough
Default

Just range shooting, and killing intruders I like Kimbers a lot, but I can see why I would get a custom pistol too...Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk Customs, etc...I'll probably end up with a Kimbert Covert or Warrior though...

I loved the 12 gauge though...
__________________


Have you seen my Ball..?? An 0705 Dodge Benz Ram 63 Hemi AMG...
citylightva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
SAFE4NOW
DFWAC Sponsor
 
SAFE4NOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,940
Thanks: 645
Thanked 368 Times in 204 Posts
SAFE4NOW is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I look at it alot like I do cars. Can you really use it at 10/10th's ?

I think most high end handguns will get the job done, it's more of can you?

I came close to buying one of the three Morris Custom's ( That I ended up selling to Jackson Armory BTW ) but chose not to, simply because my G21 and PO's have done just fine by me for now.

Colt Defender and Kimber's like model are both excellent for the money, again, which works better for you?

Just a few rambling thoughts,

Steve
__________________
"You have first to experience
what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)
SAFE4NOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
SAFE4NOW
DFWAC Sponsor
 
SAFE4NOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,940
Thanks: 645
Thanked 368 Times in 204 Posts
SAFE4NOW is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylightva View Post
Just range shooting, and killing intruders I like Kimbers a lot, but I can see why I would get a custom pistol too...Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk Customs, etc...I'll probably end up with a Kimbert Covert or Warrior though...

I loved the 12 gauge though...
I have a nice FN you might consider ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FN Police Tactical SG.jpg (24.5 KB, 14 views)
__________________
"You have first to experience
what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)
SAFE4NOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
citylightva
Fastest car in my garage
 
citylightva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 1,837
Thanks: 22
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
citylightva will become famous soon enoughcitylightva will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFE4NOW View Post
I have a nice FN you might consider ...
You have my attention...
__________________


Have you seen my Ball..?? An 0705 Dodge Benz Ram 63 Hemi AMG...
citylightva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
citylightva
Fastest car in my garage
 
citylightva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 1,837
Thanks: 22
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
citylightva will become famous soon enoughcitylightva will become famous soon enough
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFE4NOW View Post
I look at it alot like I do cars. Can you really use it at 10/10th's ?

I think most high end handguns will get the job done, it's more of can you?

I came close to buying one of the three Morris Custom's ( That I ended up selling to Jackson Armory BTW ) but chose not to, simply because my G21 and PO's have done just fine by me for now.

Colt Defender and Kimber's like model are both excellent for the money, again, which works better for you?

Just a few rambling thoughts,

Steve
I shoot as well as I drive... Guess I'll be gettin a BB gun...My older sister actually has my Springfield Armory .45 and loves it, so I'm letting her have it and I've got the gun itch again...

I'm not winning any contests, but I'm not bad...Guess I'll have to cruise for Kimber's this weekend...I was told the lead time on orders is kind of long :-/
__________________


Have you seen my Ball..?? An 0705 Dodge Benz Ram 63 Hemi AMG...
citylightva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Silentrun
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Silentrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,163
Thanks: 358
Thanked 187 Times in 121 Posts
Silentrun is on a distinguished road
Default

Steve, looks like your ready for a 3-gun match!!!
Silentrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
Silentrun
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Silentrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,163
Thanks: 358
Thanked 187 Times in 121 Posts
Silentrun is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylightva View Post
I shoot as well as I drive... Guess I'll be gettin a BB gun...My older sister actually has my Springfield Armory .45 and loves it, so I'm letting her have it and I've got the gun itch again...

I'm not winning any contests, but I'm not bad...Guess I'll have to cruise for Kimber's this weekend...I was told the lead time on orders is kind of long :-/
If you are going to shoot single-action, you need training if your going to use if for self defense as there is a lot more to consider...just my .02
Silentrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
mbowdo20
DFWAC Senior Member
 
mbowdo20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,507
Thanks: 73
Thanked 100 Times in 68 Posts
mbowdo20 is on a distinguished road
Default

Rem 870 with buck shot in the closet.
__________________
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams
mbowdo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #11
citylightva
Fastest car in my garage
 
citylightva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 1,837
Thanks: 22
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
citylightva will become famous soon enoughcitylightva will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentrun View Post
If you are going to shoot single-action, you need training if your going to use if for self defense as there is a lot more to consider...just my .02
Michael, this is mostly for the range. It will be locked at home, but accessible...I've had training back in VA (home of NRA HQ ) I was mostly wondering if anyone had shot any of those custom pistols and also a Kimber level pistol to compare, but no I never expect to have a 2" group at 50 ft. so a Kimber is probably the way to go. I've never owned a .45 nicer than a Kimber/Colt/Springfield so just curious instead of dumping twice as much in to something I can't even notice
__________________


Have you seen my Ball..?? An 0705 Dodge Benz Ram 63 Hemi AMG...
citylightva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #12
TomBoy
DFWAC Senior Member
 
TomBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 912
Thanks: 329
Thanked 88 Times in 67 Posts
TomBoy is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm a huge Sig fan. Have 3 of them now. Have had many S&W's, a half a dozen 45's and just like the feel, fit & finish of the Sig's. Very good ergonomic's. I doubt Kimber makes a 38 Super, but I may see if they do, and if so pop for one of those...
TomBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #13
Silentrun
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Silentrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,163
Thanks: 358
Thanked 187 Times in 121 Posts
Silentrun is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowdo20 View Post
Rem 870 with buck shot in the closet.
I like reliable, you can't beat the 870!!!
Silentrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
Silentrun
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Silentrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,163
Thanks: 358
Thanked 187 Times in 121 Posts
Silentrun is on a distinguished road
Default

I have owned custom and "off-the-shelf" firearms. Like automobiles, guns gather a lot of opinion as to what is the best...it all depends on the operator. Sig, Glock, FN, S&W-M&P, Springfield XD, HK, Beretta all make excellent versions of dual action firearms designed around military requests and proof of concepts. Each has their own little something, what makes the difference is practice and training. But they work (usually) no matter what...and the high-end customs work as well, but better? Usually they have much higher tolerance values. Drop said high-end custom in mud and drop a glock in mud, leave it there for an hour. Run over them with a vehicle. Which one will work?

Single action like the Colt .45 ( I used to shoot IPSC) are really nice, and the stories of SF Operators staying with the like is romantic. The dark-side is hearing about LEO's who are "cocked and locked" and in the heat of the moment didn't disengage the thumb safety and died for the error...again this is just my .02
Silentrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #15
Fubar
Totally ***** Up
 
Fubar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 6,307
Thanks: 170
Thanked 604 Times in 402 Posts
Fubar is on a distinguished road
Default

Anybody know where I could get a 12gauge pistol?
__________________
I'm Just Say'n!!!
Fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
Silentrun
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Silentrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,163
Thanks: 358
Thanked 187 Times in 121 Posts
Silentrun is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Anybody know where I could get a 12gauge pistol?
http://www.serbu.com/legacy/shorty.htm
Silentrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #17
Zinia
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Zinia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,461
Thanks: 89
Thanked 60 Times in 59 Posts
Zinia is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylightva View Post
They have a few at Jackson Armory
Some pretty nice guys over there. That's where I bought my .40 and they were very helpful.
Zinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #18
citylightva
Fastest car in my garage
 
citylightva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 1,837
Thanks: 22
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
citylightva will become famous soon enoughcitylightva will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentrun View Post
I have owned custom and "off-the-shelf" firearms. Like automobiles, guns gather a lot of opinion as to what is the best...it all depends on the operator. Sig, Glock, FN, S&W-M&P, Springfield XD, HK, Beretta all make excellent versions of dual action firearms designed around military requests and proof of concepts. Each has their own little something, what makes the difference is practice and training. But they work (usually) no matter what...and the high-end customs work as well, but better? Usually they have much higher tolerance values. Drop said high-end custom in mud and drop a glock in mud, leave it there for an hour. Run over them with a vehicle. Which one will work?

Single action like the Colt .45 ( I used to shoot IPSC) are really nice, and the stories of SF Operators staying with the like is romantic. The dark-side is hearing about LEO's who are "cocked and locked" and in the heat of the moment didn't disengage the thumb safety and died for the error...again this is just my .02
Thanks This is kind of what I thought, just wanted to run it by someone who has had a lot more guns and experience than myself. I am a big fan of the palm/pressure safety, though I can see how that can be dangerous in a novices hands.
__________________


Have you seen my Ball..?? An 0705 Dodge Benz Ram 63 Hemi AMG...
citylightva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #19
Mike
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,197
Thanks: 70
Thanked 69 Times in 45 Posts
Mike is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinia View Post
Some pretty nice guys over there. That's where I bought my .40 and they were very helpful.
I had a Glock .40 on the small frame (27) and after a several hundred rounds, I traded it for a gun that I could shoot with, the 9mm (26).
My groups went from 10 inches down to less than 5 immediately. Yeah, I know that's not Steven Segall territory but with the hi-cap mag, I get 19 chances to be on target!
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
Silentrun
DFWAC Senior Member
 
Silentrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,163
Thanks: 358
Thanked 187 Times in 121 Posts
Silentrun is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike CLK Black View Post
I had a Glock .40 on the small frame (27) and after a several hundred rounds, I traded it for a gun that I could shoot with, the 9mm (26).
My groups went from 10 inches down to less than 5 immediately. Yeah, I know that's not Steven Segall territory but with the hi-cap mag, I get 19 chances to be on target!
Good Carry guns, I have both the 26 and 27...with lasers for carry though. They can be heavy for daily carry. For tactical and practice I use the 17 or the 21SF in .45 Carry everyday is a S&W M&P scandium revolver...very light and with laser!!!
Silentrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.