Please support our sponsor: RBC Wealth Management
Please support our sponsor: Radar-Mirror.com

Old 10-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #61
bioderek
DFWAC Senior Member

bioderek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderltd View Post
Not saying the Boss isn't a nice car, but I would rather have a stock GT-R than a modded Boss. There's something about that GT-R which seems to make it a pretty amazing car to me.
Yeah, that's coz the Boss is a driver's car

2010 E63 AMG (Eurocharged Tune)
2002 S2000 (Stock, for now...)
bioderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #62
///MFalcon
DFWAC Senior Member

///MFalcon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderltd View Post
Here's a brand new black edition for $96K

Sure it's in MO, but if a good deal can be had out of state, take a nice trip.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
hey and it looks like you can even make a test drive appointment!!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #63
jsbkg
DFWAC Senior Member

jsbkg is on a distinguished road

Trophy Nissan is good place to buy a car but not a good place to get it serviced. Bankston Nissan off I-35 is probably the only Nissan dealer I would go to.

GTR GT1R A20
GT2 Sold
jsbkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #64
jsbkg
DFWAC Senior Member

Matt, you got a pm.

GTR GT1R A20
GT2 Sold
Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #65
Brett
DFWAC Senior Member

Brett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioderek View Post
Yeah, that's coz the Boss is a driver's car
It has aids.....

...cars with aids calling out GT-Rs as not being drivers cars is like one stripper with the clap laughing at another with the herp because people don't enjoy her lap dances so much...

Seriously though, lately even I have been flirting with the thought of a GT-R ... maybe a 2013. We'll see.
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #66
Malu59RT
Balls of Steel

Malu59RT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Seriously though, lately even I have been flirting with the thought of a GT-R ... maybe a 2013. We'll see.
I entertained the thought, until I got on NAGTROC. The maintenance costs are ridiculous! Last I remember, customer pay on an engine is $55k, a trans is $20k, and a brake job was $7k, not to mention the services. If it was more reasonably priced, I wouldn't mind getting one.
Malu59RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:59 AM   #67
mbowdo20
DFWAC Senior Member

mbowdo20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malu59RT View Post
I entertained the thought, until I got on NAGTROC. The maintenance costs are ridiculous! Last I remember, customer pay on an engine is $55k, a trans is $20k, and a brake job was $7k, not to mention the services. If it was more reasonably priced, I wouldn't mind getting one.
Engine... if it goes. (have not seen a single stock one go)
Trans... if it goes. (have not seen one go that wasn't abused or heavily tracked)

Brake job, yes if you have Nissan do it. You can get rotors and pads for under 2k, not bad for those brakes.

Oil changes are 110, same as my bmw.

35k service is 1.2k, around the same as a major service on any performance car in that price range, less than some.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #68
fenderltd
Hey Lucky!

fenderltd is on a distinguished road

The only thing BMW has is the maintenance for 4 years/50K

That's the only negative thing I've heard about the GT-R is the conversation of complain about the maintenance prices...
2011 STi
E60 M5 - Mechanics Nightmare
Audi A8L & many more
fenderltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #69
jsbkg
DFWAC Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowdo20 View Post
Trans... if it goes. (have not seen one go that wasn't abused or heavily tracked)

Brake job, yes if you have Nissan do it. You can get rotors and pads for under 2k, not bad for those brakes.

35k service is 1.2k, around the same as a major service on any performance car in that price range, less than some.
Trans is stronger than what most ppl think. It will take some abuse even if the car is modfied but only to the certain lvl of modification.

Engine can be sourced for about 7k. It needs a re-build.

Any routine maintenances will be much cheaper to do outside of the Nissan dealers.

I use T1 Race Development/Injector Dynamics. They have been working on my GTR. I'm biased. They do good work and their price is very competitive.

GTR GT1R A20
GT2 Sold
Old 10-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #70
Cabinetman
DFWAC Member

Cabinetman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are the 2012's truly worth the money vs a 2011 or 2010? What exactly did they change/fix vs the earlier models? I would need to make the purchase before the new year, so I can't wait for the 2013, which is apparently going to be "better" than the 2012.
I had both a 2011 and 2012 GT-R. The '12 is definitely a nice upgrade.

Here are the things you get with a 2012 GT-R that the '11 doesn't have:

1. More power. The '12 has 45 more ponies and you can feel it. The difference certainly isn't night and day and can easily be overcome in an earlier car with an exhaust and tune.

2. Launch control. This is a bit of a gimmick for me since I don't drag race, but it is pretty impressive. Also, the warranty issues are now worked out.

3. More aggressive tuning of the suspension and stability control. You can get the back end to step out nicely while under power in the 2012. It feels a lot like a rear driver except when you reach that point that you think you might lose the car the AWD pulls you through. The 2012 also rides a little better in comfort mode.

4. Bigger brakes. I couldn't tell a difference in feel, but the rotors are a little bigger.

5. Upgraded interior. My 2011 had some of the upgrades that are featured in the 2012 like automatic on headlights and an upgraded MFD with better resolution and better software. The earlier cars have neither of these upgrades. The 2012 adds better knobs on the center stack, carbon fiber overlays and darker accent trim. It is definitely an upgrade over the 2011, but not by very much. If you get the Black Edition you can get Recaros, but my car didn't have these.

6. Exterior changes. I think the new front bumper on the 12 looks more aggressive. Some folks probably disagree. I also like the new wheels better, but not by much. The new rear diffuser is nice, but I don't think it really improved the looks that much.

If you are planning to leave your car bone stock I would say the 2012 is worth the extra money. It is a nice evolution of the R35. However, if you plan to mod the car I would try and find a 2011. You will get the better display, added sound insulation and auto headlights like the 2012. With the money saved you can then turn your 2011 into a car that will out-perform a new GT-R and maybe even save some money.

FYI, I bought both of my GT-Rs from Grubbs Nissan in Bedford. They took good care of me on both deals. Bill McKenzie is my contact out there.

Last edited by Cabinetman; 10-12-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cabinetman For This Useful Post:
fenderltd (10-12-2011), mbowdo20 (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #71
bioderek
DFWAC Senior Member

bioderek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It has aids.....

...cars with aids calling out GT-Rs as not being drivers cars is like one stripper with the clap laughing at another with the herp because people don't enjoy her lap dances so much...

What doesn't have aids nowadays

2010 E63 AMG (Eurocharged Tune)
2002 S2000 (Stock, for now...)
bioderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #72
OKcruising
DFWAC Senior Member

OKcruising is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It has aids.....

Someone is stealing my stripper lines!

The 2013 model would be neat; but they need to be more supportive of *any* performance driving in a private setting... unless they've changed policy.
OKcruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #73
Malu59RT
Balls of Steel

Malu59RT is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to discourage you or talk negatively about it. Just stating for me (being a Viper owner), I couldn't justify getting one. Dodge has covered everything for me under warranty, and the out of pocket expenses have been ridiculously cheap, all things considering. Oil change is ~$150 because it's almost 12 quarts of oil, differential service was under $200, trans service the same.

I think the GTR would be a fun car, but I would be extremely pissed the first time they handed me any bill for 4-5 digits, when the car is under warranty. That's what turned me away, that's all.
Malu59RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #74
Kumar
DFWAC Senior Member

Kumar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know someone may attempt to revoke my card for this ... but the primary thing I have against the GT3 is there is no practical way to get golf clubs into it...
I'm pretty sure you could Brett.

I've had a lot of luggage in the space behind the seats and like Nash said, the seats fold down. I've actually had 2 adults in the back. There is more room without the mini seats that come in the Carrera or Turbo models.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #75
Brett
DFWAC Senior Member

Brett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malu59RT View Post
Sorry, I wasn't trying to discourage you or talk negatively about it. Just stating for me (being a Viper owner), I couldn't justify getting one. Dodge has covered everything for me under warranty, and the out of pocket expenses have been ridiculously cheap, all things considering. Oil change is ~$150 because it's almost 12 quarts of oil, differential service was under $200, trans service the same.

I think the GTR would be a fun car, but I would be extremely pissed the first time they handed me any bill for 4-5 digits, when the car is under warranty. That's what turned me away, that's all.
Ahhhhhh.....

...domestics.
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote